Wednesday 28 July 2010

London in May, too!

Well what can I say...we came back from our Paris trip with a broken camera and lots of good memories. Yes, that's right, Michael's camera broke. He was pretty heartbroken I can tell you!
I was in such a travel fewer that I pleaded and begged and carried on until Michael agreed to go to London and Scotland for another week. We hadn't even booked the trip yet! Michael was feeling quite unwell at that stage AND his camera was broken but I wanted to use our remaining spare time travelling because a few weeks later I was going to start full time work. So we booked it and flew to London - with my dad's camera in the suitcase while Michael's was being fixed.

First we stayed with Michael's former Mildura housemate Bree, lovely Bree the journalist, and her boyfriend Gary in their wonderful flat just out of London. We had a GREAT time with them. Except for that one night when Michael was feeling really really sick and we went to hospital the next day. They didn't know what was wrong with him but as we would find out later, he had pneumonia!!!
After some great days in London we flew to Inverness in the Scottish Highlands where we visited a pen friend on mine. Mrs Jay Fraser. She is 86 and we met 12 years ago when my parents and I spent a holiday in Portugal. I had just started English classes and struck up a (very basic!) conversation with her. We've been writing letters ever since. When we got off the plane her first words were 'Maria, you've got so tall!'. I haven't heard that in a while :) Well, the Scottish countryside is probably THE most beautiful thing we had seen in a long long time. AMAZING. Breathtaking. The pictures just don't do it justice. But have a look for yourself.

LONDON!!!



We had to have lots of rests...including this one in Hyde Park



...sitting on the lawn for 3 hours!



The man who discovered Australia: Captain Cook!



Bree's still quite Aussie at heart...having a BBQ with Bree and Gary.

No comments:

Post a Comment